The 14th Light Dragoons returned to Britain after spending 19 years, from 1841 to 1860, in India, where they had fought and distinguished themselves in the Second Sikh War and the Indian Mutiny. In 1860 they were sent to Newbridge in County Kildare to recruit and buy horses.
On 17 Aug 1861, a few days after the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, had dined with the officers in the cavalry barracks at Newbridge, the regiment became hussars. The commanding officer at the time was Arthur Scudamore who was in charge from June to October of 1861.
The change to hussars was resented by some of the regiment because traditionally light dragoons had always looked at other branches of the cavalry with suspicion or disapproval, describing the heavies as Overweight Louts, and Hussars as Theatrical Bounders. They were to be titled 14th (King’s) Hussars, the brackets remaining in place until 1920, 2 years before amalgamation with the 20th Hussars.