The 26th Hussars were raised at Meerut in June 1941 from a cadre of personnel taken from the 14th/20th King’s Hussars and assigned to the 2nd Indian Armoured Brigade. It was later moved to the 255th Indian Armoured Brigade at Sialkot.
It was disbanded at Bolarum, near Secunderabad, in October 1943. Some of the personnel were transferred to the 3rd Carabiniers, but the majority joined the Chindits force under Orde Wingate.
Read more about the 26th Hussars