Guidons of the Regiment at various periods since 1715
Originally Light Dragoons had as a rule 3 guidons per regiment of 6 troops, but towards the end of the eighteenth century regiments mostly consisted of 8 troops, and some had as many as 10 troops, so that the number of standards or guidons was, as a rule, increased to an average of 4 per regiment, and in 1807 there were 5 per regiment when the establishment was at its highest, viz. 10 troops. The 1st Dragoon Guards with its 12 troops had 6 standards.
A guidon measured 2 feet 10 inches long by 2 feet 4 inches deep. The royal warrant of September 1743 contained regulations for the standards and guidons of cavalry regiments, in which it is laid down that the guidons of Light Dragoons are to be of silk, the tassels and cords to be of crimson silk and gold mixed.
By royal warrant dated 1st July 1751, further instructions as to standards and guidons were issued. The Fourteenth were ordered to have their second and third guidons lemon-coloured all 3 guidons to have the embroidery on them of silver, with the fringe of silver and red. They were ordered to bear on second and third guidons the rank of the regiment thus: XIV. D.
Another royal warrant of December 1768 ordered for the first time as follows:
The lance of the guidons (except those of the Light Dragoons) to be 9 feet long (spear and ferrule included). The flag to be 3 feet 5 inches to the end of the slit of the swallow tail, and 2 feet 3 inches on the lance. Those of the Light Dragoons to be of smaller size.
In 1777 there is an entry War Office Miscellany Books of £13, 13S. 6d. made for one standard to complete deficiencies in the 12th Light Dragoons, ‘as furnished to 14th Dragoons one pole 11s, 41/2d. one case 10s’.
The standard belts according to the richness, £7, 14s. 2d though the 9th Dragoons paid £3, 17s for one.
In old times the standards or guidons of cavalry were carried by cornets, but in 1822, on the 30th November, an order was given for them to be carried by troop sergeant majors.
In 1823, on the 23rd January, new regulations for cavalry standards and guidons of Light Dragoons were issued. The size of the flag was ordered to be only 3 feet 2 inches to the end of the slit of the swallow-tail, and 1 foot 9 inches on the lance, having a fringe edging of crimson silk intermingled with silk of the colour of the regimental facings.
In 1832 the Prussian eagle, which had since 1799 been the regimental badge, was authorised to be continued on the second and third corners of the guidons of the Fourteenth at the same time that the King’s crest (the Royal cypher within the garter) became the new regimental badge, in honour of the title of ‘King’s’ conferred by his Majesty William IV. On the 24th May 1834, the use of guidons in Light Dragoon regiments was finally discontinued by His Majesty’s commands.
(Taken from the Historical Record of the 14th (Kings) Hussars 1715 – 1900)