The 26th Light Dragoons were formed in 1795. In 1805 they became 23rd Light Dragoons and under that title carried out the gallant but disastrous charge at the Battle of Talavera on 20 July 1809. They were disbanded in 1817, and spent the next hundred years in abeyance, to be raised again in 1941.
The 26th were staffed mainly by 14th/20th King’s Hussars, including the Commanding Officer and many of the key appointments. The Regiment trained in India but never went into battle as a regiment. After disbandment in 1943 some of the men were transferred to General Wingate‘s force and took part in the second Chindit Expedition. Their cap badge (see the pictures) was the Hawk was similar but not identical to the Prussian Eagle of the 14th/20th King‘s Hussars, with XXVI Hussars written below.
It was later disbanded at Secunderabad in October 1943 with the personnel being transferred to the 3rd Carabiniers.