In 1798 the 14th were given the title Duchess of York’s Own and adopted the Prussian Eagle as a badge in honour of her background as Prussia’s Princess Royal. At least two on temporary pictures from 1801, one by Dighton and the other by H Edridge, illustrate the sabretache of the 14th Light Dragoons.
The blue faced sabretache had silver lace all around, edged on both sides with a deep orange of the Regimental facings. The devices in the centre consisted of a Coronet above a black Eagle on an eight pointed star, all badges associated with Prussia. A print dated from 1820 shows the same pattern of sabretache still in use.
A surviving sabretache, dated from 1820-1830, has a very dark blue cloth faced with train pattern lace. In the centre a proper Crown above a silver GR reversed cypher on which is a black Eagle with gold orb and sceptre. The battle honours Peninsula and Waterloo were placed on scrolls but there is no evidence that any other battle honours were placed on the sabretache during the Georgian period.
There is a Hawkes drawing (left) for a William IV period sabretache which includes the five hooped Crown, three of the battle honours above the Eagle and reversed WR cypher with the three remaining honours placed below. This sabretache does not appear to have been made, as in 1830 the Regiment was retitled the 14th (The Kings) Light Dragoons. The lace was changed to gold during the general change of all silver to gold for regular regiments.
The face of the sabretache remained dark blue, a stout Crown replaced the Coronet and although the doubled WR was as expected, the Eagle disappeared and was replaced by the Royal Crest: the Lion on the Crown. There was only a single battle honour for Peninsula in the lowest position.
On the accession of Victoria the style of the sabretache remained but with the VR double cypher and with the same ‘train pattern lace all around. There was a further Victorian pattern with a single VR, and only the one honour. The changes instituted 1854 found the 14th without any full dress sabretache until 186I when they convert to Hussars.
The new pattern had a scarlet face and the lace was now only on three sides. However all eleven honours were displayed in gold on blue, Peninsula, Talavera, Fuente d’Onor, Salamanca, Vittoria, Orthes, Douro, Punjaub, Chillianwallah, Goojerat and Persia. In 1858 a further honour was added to this impassive list and the final pattern of sabretache included a scroll bearing Central India.