The White Horse on the Regimental Guidon
The Guidon is the memorial of the regimental deeds and the symbol of its spirit. At one time they were carried on active service and were the rallying point of the regiment. Regimental colours can be traced in English history as far back as 1585, and in world history colours or standards were carried by the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians before our present calendar was started.
The colours of a cavalry regiment are traditionally in the form of a Guidon or swallow-tailed flag which derived its name from the French Guyd-homme (guide man), who would lead by carrying a flag.
It is interesting to note that on the Guidon of the armoured regiments which have no cavalry background the white Hanoverian horse is replace by a white Ram. This tradition dates back to 1715 when regiments which fought actively against the revolutionaries, and in support of King George were authorised to carry the Hanover Horse on their colours as symbolic of “true” cavalry regiments.
The request for a Guidon for the Fort Garry Horse was made in 1957 and was approved by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, in September 1960.
The battle honours of the regiments which have been approved for emblazonment appear on either side of the central emblem, their chronology being from left to right.