His Most Gracious Majesty King William IVth, King of England, Royal Patron of the Regiment 30th July 1830.
On the 26th July 1830 His Majesty King William IVth reviewed the regiment in Hyde Park. His Majesty was much pleased with the regiment, and commanded that it should in future bear the distinguished title of ‘The Fourteenth’ or ‘The King’s’ instead of the ‘Duchess of York’s Own’ Regiment of Light Dragoons’. (so became 14th (King’s) Light Dragoons).
His Majesty expressed his approval of the regiment through Major-General Sir E. Kerrison, Bart K.C.B. who was present at the inspection. This order was dated 30th July 1830, and in consequence of becoming a royal regiment the facings should have been changed from orange to scarlet , but this change does not appear to have carried out immediately.