On the 26th of July 1798 His Majesty King George iii was graciously pleased to approve the regiment being styled the 14th (Duchess of York’s Own) regiment of Light Dragoons, in honour of Her Royal Highness the Princess Frederica Charlotte Ulrica Catherina, Princess Royal of Prussia, who had married H.R.H. the Duke of York in 1791.
This honour was conferred for services performed by the 14th Light Dragoons in receiving and escorting H.R.H. the Duchess of York on her arrival in England in the same year.
The royal authority was given for the regiment to assume the Prussian Eagle as a badge, and the colour of the facings was changed from lemon-yellow to orange, the colour of the livery of the Royal House of Brandenburg.
The Fourteenth thus lost for a time the original pale yellow colour, but this was revived in 1861 in the colour of the busby-bags when the regiment became Hussars.